Thursday, August 07, 2008

How Do You Like Them Apples?

Remember when I spoke about the late frost/freeze in 2007? The one that came after all of my trees and plants had already bloomed? The storm that dumped tons of ice and ceased any production of apples in my apple tree?

Well, the feast is definitely coming after the famine. I had my first clue when I saw the tree bloom this spring. It was amazing to see. Blooms everywhere.

Now, the tree is PACKED with apples, and I wonder what I am going to do with all of them. The branches are actually drooping because of the weight of the apples.







In past years, the ladies at church and I have talked about having an "Apple Day" where we peel, slice, and freeze apples... or make applesauce... or make apple butter. But, since then, there have been two years with no apples on my tree.

This might be our year. My long to-do list now has the tasks of "investigate applebutter recipes" and "research applesauce making" added to it. I am pretty sure this means that a full weekend or two will have to be reserved for this apple situation. If I am not peeling or slicing, then I'll just be picking them up from the ground so the bugs down gather and the ground doesn't rot. I wish I knew when they'd be ripe and ready for picking. Sometime mid-September?

Unrelated to my apples but related because of what is going on in my yard at this time, I just wanted to show that my lilies are up. Brighter than in the past few years.

4 comments:

Emily said...

If you don't already have one, I would highly suggest buying an apple peeler/corer/slicer. Totally makes the job much faster and easier. (It's a great job to give to a guy too - my husband is willing to do anything in the kitchen to help me if it involves using "tools"! hehe)

In 2006 we made tons of apple sauce, apple butter, and also frozen sliced, peeled apples to use for pies and stewed apples. Quick, easy, and oh, so fabulous!

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Professional-Apple-Peeler/dp/B001C61SRA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_11?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1218221257&sr=8-11

strem said...

Emily, thanks for that suggestion. Yes, I have three or four peelers... each with a slight difference in how they're built or their purpose. But, if all of the ladies come over, I might need to buy more... or ask them to bring their own. About four years ago, I had a lot of apples, and I felt like I was peeling and slicing for weeks. We too made up bags of sliced apples for pies and baked items. But, this year, I think I am going to have double that amount, and I shake my head just thinking about it. I'll have to look more closely at this peeler you suggested. My hands started turning brown when I peeled and peeled a few years ago. I might need to wear some rubber gloves! :) Wish you could be here to join in on the fun!

strem said...

Well, Emily, I had NO IDEA you were talking about something like that. WOW! Now, that is something great to have for this tree, and you're right. I think I need to get one. Right away!! Thanks for showing me!!!

Dani said...

I would think mid-sept, but it might depend on what sort of apple tree it is. They don't grow well this far south, it gets too hot in the summer and never cold enough in the winter. That sounds like a fun sister's weekend to me though.

I'll trade you strawberry preserves for applesause. :)