Friday, October 12, 2007

On A Roll

I've continued with my baking, and everyone who is testing the food seems to enjoy it. But, I'm still not happy with all of the roll recipes I've tried. I made these last night so that my cousin would have some bread in the house while I'm visiting Mom and Dad over the weekend. While I had some trouble making them even, I think they look pretty good, and I know Kayla will like them. But, they just don't have that over-the-top taste. Have you ever had the rolls at O'Charley's or at Bob Evans'? Rolls with that good YEASTY taste? (There's no better way to describe it, so my apologies go out to my friends who laugh at me when I describe it that way.) Well, I'm looking for a good recipe for rolls like that. Those melt-in-your-mouth kind of rolls. If you have a recipe you'd be willing to share here in the comments or by email, please do. Until then, I'll be making these perfectly fine rolls but I'll be hoping for better.

8 comments:

Chelle said...

I've never had the rolls at Bob Evans, but the rolls at O'Charley's have sugar in them. They always seem more like dessert to me than something to sop up gravy with. :o) Have you tried a Google search for a copy-cat recipe? It might be worth a try.

Nomos said...

I love yeasty rolls...they're the best kind. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Strem!

I googled Bob Evans biscuits and got this recipe:

2 1/2 baking mix (Bisquick, Jiffy, or homemade)
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/3 cup buttermilk (use more if needed)

Mix all until blended. (at this point, I put it in a pan and bake it then slice to use) On floured board, knead dough about 10 times. Dough should be easy to roll out but not dry. Roll dough out to 1/2" thickness and cut biscuits 2 1/2" diameter. In preheated oven bake 8-12 minutes or until done at 450°F.

Jeremy Sarber said...

Learn how to make the rolls they have at Logan's Steakhouse and I will be your new best friend. That's whether you wanted me to be or not. Those rolls (and their butter) are delicious!

strem said...

Chelle: I've usually had tons of the rolls with butter long before the gravy or even the salad comes. The sugar may be the reason I like them so much. Hmmm....

Nomos, I'm glad you and I are on the same page... and hopefully, I'll be able to make some delicious yeasty rolls very soon. Thanks for stopping by!

For Anonymous (I think I know who you are, but I'm not 100% sure.) I appreciate having this recipe. I like their biscuits too, so I'm glad to have this for my files. I will have to continue for an online search for the roll recipe.

Jeremy: I THINK I've had Logan's rolls, but I can't remember. I guess I'll just have to force myself to go try them. :) I'll keep you posted if/when I come up with anything close.

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

"Yeasty" is exactly the right word! I know what you mean - I often find myself tasting a recipe I've tried and not matter how good it tastes, being frustrated it's not quite what I was going for.

lydia said...

Strem:

I tried a new recipe for rolls this past weekend. The recipe I used was from Crystal at Biblical Womanhood. It's a quick, 30-minute recipe. However, it did take me about 45 minutes total because it was my first time.

With a few improvements and more practice, I think this recipe is worth keeping! They're not quite as "yeasty" as you and I like, but they're quite tasty!

strem said...

Lydia, just wanted to say again that I liked the rolls that Tasha and you baked. They were a great complement to the spiced pork your dad made. Maybe each of us can find a few more recipes and have a big "roll day" soon to test them.