Friday, August 31, 2007

Things I Should Know

I know what they mean. But I didn't know their exact definitions or longer phrases. Good refresher for me. Maybe for you too!

a.m. = ante meridiem (before noon, of course)

p.m. = post meridiem (after noon, of course)

i.e. = id est (literally, that is; in other words)

e.g. = exempli gratia (literally, for the sake of example or example favor; for example)

A.C. = Ante Christum (before Christ)

A.D. = Anno Domini (in the year of our Lord)

D.G. = Dei gratia (by the grace of God)

etc. = Et caetera (and the rest; and so forth)

Ib. or Ibid. = Ibidem (in the same place)

i.q. = Idem quod (the same as)

l.c. = Loco citato (in the place cited)

R.I.P. = Requiescat in pace! (May he rest in peace!)

3 comments:

Owl of the Desert said...

I always get i.e. and e.g. confused. I don't know why.

Dani said...

I never use e.g. I always write ex: just my preference I suppose.

Elizabeth said...

If latin weren't a dead language, we would know all this stuff and use it correctly.

I also use i.e. and e.g. interchangeably - if you're going to same somethign in other words, it might as well be an example, right? (I know, that's not very good logic)