Friday, March 14, 2008

Sing Loud, Sing Proud

Our Sacred Harp/Shape Note group was interviewed and featured in a local paper in St. Louis, the West End Word. Unfortunately, our visitors came on a night when a huge storm was expected, so I was part of the smallest gathering I'd ever seen at our singings. And, that is reflected in the picture included in the article. Very unfortunate. But, we still had a great time singing. If any of you blog friends can come up for a visit, I hope you will schedule your trip around the 1st or 3rd Monday of a month so you can sing with us. I would love to introduce you to our Sacred Harp friends - as they are wonderful, wonderful people.

4 comments:

Kelly Spezzano said...

That's is really exciting that they wrote an article about it! I have never had the opportunity to attend a sacred harp sing before... and boy do I love to sing! I hope that I can come up and visit one day...I may not pick up on it right away (as I am used to 8 notes and not 4), but I sure would love to experience it!

Dani said...

I love going to Sings. I've not heard of any in Florida, though there must be some around here somewhere. It would be awesome if we could go up there sometime soon, and get to visit and sing and stuff.

Elizabeth said...

The article was good. Too bad I won't be around any of the 3rd Mondays anytime soon. I'm not very good at Sacred Harp, my grandparents grew up singing it, and they still do sing at the reunions every year. I think once you can hear the 'sound' of Sacred Harp - you're good to go, whether or not the notes are quite right.

Speaking of which, since I learned to sing with shape notes, anytime I have had to do things for theater or whatever, it always takes me a while to get past the point that all of the notes aren't sol, even though they look like it.

Dani said...

You know, after having a moment to sit and read the article, I would love to talk about SH singing up there. Seems like some of the things ya'll do a bit differently. I think it would be fun to compare.