Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Old Times: Rolling Odometers

You know what I miss? Rolling odometers. You know what I mean? The black and white kind which would move constantly to help you keep track of your mileage?

When Aaron and I were younger, Dad - from the driver's seat - would often make the announcement that we were approaching a special number on the odometer. And, Aaron and I would crowd around Dad's shoulders to try to get a glimpse of the dashboard. (This is before the days of mandatory car seats, mind you.) Mom would lean over too so to not miss out on the excitement. Now, that I think about it, that would have been a pretty funny sight if someone could have taken a picture of us... all of us leaning in to see those black and white number dials move ever so slowly.

So, Dad would let us know that we were approaching a big rollover. For instance, the odometer might read 23999... and the last dial would gradually move with every tenth of a mile. 4.... 5.... 6.... 7.... 8.... 9.... Then, it seemed so exciting to us to see all of those 9s move with that last tenth of a mile to read 24000. Or, we'd look forward to watching the odometer line up with several of the same numbers, such as 12222.


Even today, with our not-as-exciting digital odometers, I look forward to seeing those special numbers. Part of the thrill was gone, but it was still fun to watch a special number approach this week. And, I promise you, I was looking at the road the entire time this picture was taken. I have a bunch of blurry pictures and pictures which don't even contain the odometer to prove it.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Well, let me reassure you that I still roll old school with the rolling odometer, and it's nice - except there aren't enough number spaces. Once you hit more that 100,000 miles it looks like you've started over. So I just have to say, it's really 132,000, not just 32,000. They are fun though.

(It's also been fun seeing you comment on my blog again!)

Dani said...

I like the rolling numbers too, however, if your digital has the tennths place on it, it's still sorta like watching them rolling over.

Chris said...

LOL - that's hilarious. I remember one day, I was in the 6th grade and my sister in the 2nd - we were headed to school when the odometer was turning over 100,000. It appeared it would happen in the two blocks between her school and mine (hers was first), so my Mom made the block so she could watch the excitement too!

How crazy, to remember something that to me now is NOT exciting, but irritating knowing your car is wearing out way too fast!

But I do remember that story!

Anonymous said...

That's great. I knew someone so obsessed with the "special" numbers on the odometer that he would drive home backwards to keep it from turning over before his family could be there to see it.

Kelly Spezzano said...

What a funny blog! I don't think we really paid attention to the "special numbers" (at least not that I remember) but I do know that I am constantly looking at the odometer now thinking... "Lord please keep this car running a little longer" Right now we are well over 100K miles and the engine light has been on for about 3 months now... :)

strem said...

Sadly, my car has moved well into the 156000 zone very quickly... so the mileage is going up up up!