Monday, April 09, 2007

Motorin' to Music City

My family plans to visit Nashville in late July and early August. It will be our first "family vacation" since I was in high school. (That's a long time ago, folks.) We know there are a ton of great places to visit, but we need your help.

Are there any "must sees" that you know of? Are there any places that receive a ton of hype but aren't worthy of it? No matter if you want to share your opinion about a particular mansion, recording studio, historical site, concert venue, or museum, I'd love to hear it.

Each of us already has our very own Tennessee Travel Guide (courtesy of Dad), and we're busy circling, crossing off, and highlighting the entries for "central Tennessee." And, as much as the web sites help, they don't tell the whole story. So, we need the whole story from you. Please write in with your suggestions and experiences! (And, thanks, in advance, for doing so!)

6 comments:

Dani said...

The Country Music Hall of Fame, is interesting, but way more hype than substance. On the other hand there is the Nashville Aquarium which is very cool.

Chris said...

Strem - I've been to Nashville on numerous occasions, but haven't done a lot of sight-seeing. However, I watched a show on either National Geographic or The History Channel about the Parthenon at Nashville. I've included a link for you.

After seeing the show, I wanted to see it and stopped at Centennial Park in Nashville and thoroughly enjoyed the tour. The structure is beautiful, the history of how it came to be is interesting, and I like the Greek history, too. Obviously I do not believe in their gods, but it is intriguing nonetheless.

Again, a worthwhile visit, IMO.

http://www.nashville.gov/parthenon/

strem said...

Dani: We were thinking of going to the Hall of Fame, but I had not heard of the Aquarium. I will go look it up today.

Chris: The Parthenon has been high on my list... not only because it is beautiful and not very expensive - but also because it is an art museum. RIGHT? Thanks for providing your insights. Glad to know it is something to keep on the list.

Gonefishin: I read all about the Hermitage last week. My family knows I'd love to tour as many homes in the area as possible, but I know I must be reasonable about my requests. The Hermitage sounded especially wonderful in the brochures and on the site, but it's great to hear the glowing reviews from someone I trust. Thanks for weighing in.

Chris said...

Strem - yes, they do have a great art display! I'd forgotten all about that part of it. Its in the basement where there are also photographs of the building of the parthenon, etc...

I really think you'd enjoy it.

The Hermitage! If yall go, tell me all about it. I've always wanted to see it and always forget that it is in the Nashville area!

Dani said...

The Hermitage is a must see!

Elizabeth said...

Well, I have never been to Nashvile, and I didn't really read your post carefullly (the first time), so I was going to suggest heading North towards Bel Air Md, because Mt. Carmel is hosting their fellowship camp the second half of the first week in August - I think. Anyway I thought of that before I saw y'all had already decided to go to Nashville, and in that vein, I know little about it.