Everyone seems to laugh when I say I'd like to have a chinchilla. Not on a coat. But in my hand. Or, in a cage in my house. Or, sitting on my lap. Have you seen anything as cute as this? Maybe you have. And, maybe you're not so keen on mice and rats and rodents... and maybe this reminds you of a rodent. But, it doesn't do that for me. I just reminds me of cute. And, soft.
Here are some stats that I've discovered about these creatures:
* Each chinchilla follicle produces more than fifty hairs, while human follicles usually produce only one.
* Chinchilla do not attract skin parasites (such as cats and dogs do with fleas) because the parasites will suffocate in their fur.
* Chinchillas are the land mammal with the highest density in fur, with over 20,000 hairs per square centimeter.
* Chinchillas can jump 5 feet over their own height.
* Chinchillas don't sweat.
* Chinchillas have a wide variety of coloring.
* Chinchillas "bathe" in dust or ash to remove the moisture that collects in their thick fur.
* Chinchillas can hear a wide range of pitches, very close to a human's hearing.
* Chinchillas can be taught simple tricks by using voice commands.
Have you ever felt a chinchilla? It is the softest thing I have have ever touched. Would you ever consider having one of these, or is this not your type of pet? If you're liking these at all, you should check out this photo page of chinchillas & friends. With two cats who would just love one of these as a "playmate", I won't be able to add chinchillas to my farm anytime soon.