Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Elder Sarber's Ordination

This past Friday, I set out with the Zimmermans to head to Indiana to attend the ordination of our dear brother, Jeremy Sarber. We had been planning the trip for months, and I was so thankful that my friends decided to wait for me to get off work on Friday so I would not have to make the trip alone. We set out at 3 pm central time and expected to arrive at Tracy's parents' home at approximately 10 pm (figuring in the time change.) However, halfway through our trip, we had to stop suddenly on the highway... and we remained stopped.... and remained and remained... Over an hour later, we slowly approached the scene where a semi had gone through the wide grass median of the divided highway and knocked out a tree. We don't know the cause of the accident, but we know that it sure held up hundreds, if not thousands, of people on the interstate for several hours. We pray the driver is not hurt.

After some late-night catching up with the Mikels, our gracious hosts, and some good sound sleeping, we drove down the road to meet with Pilgrim's Rest Primitive Baptist Church for the ordination on Saturday morning. (If you have not already done so, please see Brother Jeremy's post about the weekend here and here.) Our church members have sure been praying for Brother Jeremy and have been so happy to hear of how God has been blessing him to preach the gospel, and because I am thankful to call him a friend, I was thankful to be present. The charge, given by Brother Jeremy's father, Elder Tommy Sarber, was especially touching. Brother Tommy shared a few memories from Brother Jeremy's childhood and gave testimony to how their family had seen God working in Jeremy's life. It was wonderful to see all of the people who love Jeremy go up to speak to him and hug him and share their kind words of encouragement with him. Long after this weekend, I hope everyone will continue to pray for Brother Jeremy in his service to God... and for all of our elders and pastors who seek to serve the Lord in Spirit and in Truth.

This post has gone up a few days later than expected because I have had some troubles with pictures. So, I will not be able to post some that I had hoped to share. But, here are a couple of good ones that I was able to salvage. To the left is a picture of the new sign outside the meeting place of the Pilgrim's Rest Primitive Baptist Church.

The newly-ordained Elder Jeremy Sarber with his nephews Carson and Alec.
Right after the ordination, everyone packed into the lunchroom to enjoy the wonderful lunch prepared by the Pilgrim's Rest church members. Delicious chicken and noodles and fellowship with loving brothers and sisters.
Tressa and Abi also thought they were pretty yummy!

On Sunday morning, we decided to return to Pilgrim's Rest Church for worship services, and we were abundantly blessed by doing so. Here, Brother Mellott visits with Elder Gary Hall.

I fear the current projects at work are requiring long hours in the office and at home, so I will not be able to write about the moving sermons given by Elder Jeremy, Elder Chris and Elder Gary Hall at this time. And, I won't be able to accurately describe the kindness shown - as usual - by Brother Dave and Sister Wanda in welcoming me to their home and taking time to talk about the most important of issues. But, God was glorified from the pulpit and within the fellowship throughout the weekend, and I came away refreshed and invigorated and at peace after the trip. And, while things have been so busy the last 3 days, I've been thankful to have those memories and sermons to reflect upon. What a wonderful weekend! It is one I will remember for years to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you personally for the support and encouragement you've given me. It was a great pleasure to visit with you this past weekend and I'm very thankful you were able to come. I hope to be able to see you again sooner than later. God bless!